FC5t3 and the nv driver woes

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Feb 24 13:08:08 UTC 2006

I just built a brand new machine and installed FC5t3.  The nv driver
will not work on it.

This is a Giga-Byte GA-K8N Pro-SLI mobo with AMD 64 X2 3800+ dual core
processor and an eVGA GeForce 6600 PCIe video card.

Installing had to be done in text mode because the graphics install was
not even partly readable (totally unusable). Text mode had a lot of
artifacts, but I was able to use it because I am familiar with what was
expected.

After getting it installed I can boot in text mode and I tried to get X
working.  The only way I can is with the vesa driver, and that is not at
maximum resolution.  The max resolution on my monitor is 1600x1200 but
the best I can get from the vesa driver is 1280x1024.

If I try to enable the nv driver the screen goes to totally non-readable
and thus I am presently quite frustrated with this install.

Where do I file a bug? What do I file it against?  I assume this would
be against xorg.  Is that correct?  Or would it be the nv driver?

So far everything else seems to work well, although I just finished the
install so have not done a lot of testing as yet.

Jeff