"install everything" and @everything dumped

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 24 23:37:36 UTC 2006

Hi

> Nothing  directly, I believe the fact that the removing the ability
> for someone to have a choice to install everything if they desired to
> is the connection to gss and nautilus.

Anaconda was revamped to use yum and this "feature" has not been added
back.

> The connection is why are we making software? Is it for the developers
> or for the users? Is there any way to come to a middle ground where
> both perspectives merge?
> Some of the latest changes comparatively resemble going into someone's
> house and they have music that you dislike. you might ask them if they
> could change the selection. They respond back with it is my house,
> radio or a similar comparison. Of course one either departs or argues
> a bit more.
> Basically, a compromise should make and questions should be proposed
> as to how a common resolution can be met middle ground.
> Sorry, my thought process for grouping concepts.

Deviating from the original topic requires a new thread. If you are
going on a rant on whether software is designed for users or developers,
atleast do it in a different thread so that people can selectively
ignore it if they dont want to read on that topic.

> I believe the fact that metacity does not currently work and did work
> slightly before an upgrade with test 3 and its "stabilization" phase
> brought out issues with metacity comparative to previous desktop
> managers like enlightenment and other capable managers used throughout
> at least RHL 5.2 history.

Define "work". It works fine for me.

> It is becoming obvious that making a system which is limited in
> functionality or reduced user configurability is not possible with
> upstream adherence and reduced patches.

Talk to upstream, fork it or use a alternative. Try talking with bug
reports and feature requests since they are specific enough compared to
calling something non working when it does.

--
Rahul