Burning ISOs

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 21:29:51 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 20:01, Leon Stringer wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 19:42 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 February 2006 19:35, Leon Stringer wrote:
> > > I'll install k3b and see what the results are like.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your replies!
> >
> > If you set the Verify flag in k3b it will check the md5sum of the burn
> > agains the md5sum of the original file.
>
> Sure, but I'm told this isn't reliable due to a long standing problem
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2006-January/msg02061.htm
>l).

I have heard this talked about before.  This is not from my experience, but
from what I have heard.  People have tried their own verify by md5sum and
been unable to get a correct result.  K3b seems to be able to do it.  I don't
know whether some corrective has been consciously programmed in, but the
concensus seems to be that if K3b says it's OK, then you can trust it.

> And as I suspected K3B uses cdrecord underneath as does GNOME. That said
> I've just burnt one CD with K3B which has worked first time so it's
> doing a better job than GNOME, so I'm getting somewhere.

HTH

Anne