Exception During Install FC5t3

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 26 00:11:32 UTC 2006

Leon Stringer wrote:
> Anaconda then said "Starting install process. This may take several
> minutes..." and I then got an Exception Occurred message which I've
> attempted to reproduce below.
>
> Looking at the exception I feel I should also mention that I selected
> not to use the NIC it detected (because the NIC I want to use (WiFi)
> wasn't detected).
>
> Leon...
> ---
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 1253, in handleRenderCallback
>   self.currentWindow.renderCallback()
snip 200 lines of exception
>     int.ppw.ics.cw.id.keyboard: Keyboard instance, containing members:

> ... I'm giving up typing now. If we're going to have exceptions this big
> we need a way to transfer them off the affected computer...
Were you using GUI install ?
For an earlier problem (different nature), I'm pretty sure I got a three
button dialog to the effect "exception, the install will stop and the pc
will be restarted. Buttons being reboot, view exception trace and save
to disk. Did yours ?

I typed what seemed like relevant bits out of mine out because the
machine did not have a floppy disk, but on a different machine the save
to disk (floppy) worked fine.

It is also possible to Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to a command prompt.
Depending on the issue, you may be able to write the installer log and
exception trace to a different disk, or usb flash disk etc ?

You might also run top, to get an idea of which processes were running
(consuming most ram/cpu). The last couple of messages on both alt-F3 and
alt-F4 terminals are quite helpful as well, since they indicate which
step the installer is up to.

DaveT.