Burning ISOs

Fulko Hew fhew3 at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 26 00:29:40 UTC 2006

Patrick Barnes wrote:

>I'm surprised that nobody on this thread has mentioned the two most valuable
>tips when having problems with CD-burning quality:
>
> * Burn at low speeds.  8x is usually good, 4x is failsafe.

I've heard from the experts that burning at a slower speed is not
neccessarily going to make the burn more likely to succeed.  As a
matter of fact, some media may actually be worse at slower than rated
speed.

Having said that... I've had a bit of better success when burning at
slower than rated speeds.

> * Get quality media.  Nothing results in more coasters than poor-quality
>media.

But I do agree with this 150% !

I've recently been burning a whole lot of DVDs and CDs.
I unfortunately decided to purchase 'low cost' blank media.
Boy what a mistake that was.  At best, my success rate was
pathetic, at worst, it was laughable.  :-(

So from now on, its nothing but medium to premium blanks.

... snip ...

>Many tools, including K3B, support verification of the written data, but this
>is only a secondary measure.  It is much better to avoid problems in the
>first place rather than have to detect them afterwards.

Having a successful burn guaranteed is always the best, but when
trying out a new batch of blanks, I now highly recommend do the
verification.  At least that way, I know I haven't burned a coaster.

Now I've had some turn into a coaster the day after it was burned,
but at least it verified on the day of the burn.  :-(