eth0 ceases to function after reboot on FC5T3

Dane Mutters dmutters at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 05:38:21 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 07:22 pm, David Timms wrote:

> I don't think I have seen any machine not show the MAC address properly;
> this one (HWaddr) does not seem legit, but I have no idea why.

Seems very odd to me as well.

> So you are doing the xen thing, or did you not mean to install xen ?
> Maybe try uninstalling the xen parts: again, I have no experience with
> this.

I installed Xen so that I could experiment with it.  I haven't yet done
anything with it, although I would like to leave it on in case I decide to
(this being a testing machine).

> What I meant was are you hand editing config files or are you using
> system-config-network (System|Admin|Network) ?

I have been using the GUI tool in gnome (System|Admin|Network).  I
occasionally do an ifconfig or ifup/down to test things and get info.

> # rpm -q system-config-network

system-config-network-1.3.30-2.1

> What does system-config-network|eth0|edit|hardware device|Mac address show
> ? Is the bind to MAC address ticked ?
> Does clicking probe update / put in a real address ?

The box is ticked, but probing it changes it from what I think is the right
one, to fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.

> Under what OS was the card last working ?
> If you dual boot, does the card work OK in the other OS ?
> Is this an upgrade install ?

Fedora 5 Test 3.  I installed fresh from the DVD (NOT an upgrade), rebooted
and it worked.  Then I rebooted again and it didn't work.  Before the install
I had Ubuntu (Breezy) installed, and it worked perfectly.

> I can only guess that tulip is the correct driver for your card
> If another linux used previously was it previously using the tulip module ?
> Can you find out which eth chip your linksys card actually uses ?

So far I don't know what chipset it uses, but several web sites say it uses
the Tulip driver.  Knoppix agrees that it uses the tulip driver.

> It seems to be detecting the link carrier, and going in full duplex OK.
> Is the netcard and switch / hub showing link activity ?

It shows a minimal amount of activity.

> > Feb 24 02:32:18 Spot kernel: peth0: Promiscuous mode enabled.
> > Feb 24 02:32:18 Spot kernel: device peth0 entered promiscuous mode
>
> Someone else know if this is normal for xen installs ?
> (this is normal when doing packet captures, but why here ?)

hmmm...dunno...

> >> In any case to make a bugzilla report you would need to provide info
> >> like the above; might as well provide it here first, so that there is
> >> enough info for others to help/refer you to bugzilla etc. Also, perhaps
> >> provide the age and manufacturer/model of the machine (or component
> >> parts if hand assembled).
> >
> > It's a 6-year-old Gateway with a Pentium 3 800MHz processor.
> >
> > Also, I seem to have forgotten an important detail.  I get this error
> > message when disabling the device (eth0) in the network configuration
> > tool in Gnome:
> >
> > Device eth0 has MAC address FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, instead of configured
> > address 00:04:5A:55:96:57. Ignoring.
>
> Do you know/can you find out the correct address and enter it in
> sys-con-network, in the area mentioned above ?

Fedora originally reported the MAC as being: 00:04:5A:55:96:57, but now Fedora
and Knoppix are both reporting it as: FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  Very strange...

> My guess is: for some reason the tools aren't able to retrieve the
> correct MAC address. Your machine will happily send out data with a
> return MAC address that is incorrect, which the eth driver ignores
> (since not destined to itself), leaving you in network isolation.
>
> > Hope that helps!
>
> As you can see it's not a one step troubleshooting process ;-)
>
> DaveT.

So it would seem!  :-)

--Dane