man pages for GLUT?

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Sun Feb 26 08:56:02 UTC 2006

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know why there are no man pages included for GLUT in the
> freeglut (or freeglut-devel) package?

Because the freeglut tarball does not contain any manpages.

> My school has some version of SuSE running on the computers that we
 > do OpenGL development on.  The SuSE version of the freeglut rpms has
 > the man pages (specifially, they are in the freeglut-devel rpm).

I haven't looked at the SuSE freeglut rpm, however the freeglut source
code does not have any manpages, so there are none installed.  If SuSE
wrote manpages for freeglut, I would hope that they would submit them
back to the freeglut project, as that would be the right thing to do.

One way to find out would be for you to download the SuSE freeglut
src.rpm and install it to see where the manpages come from.  If they
come from the official GLUT sources however, then they're under the
same license for GLUT, which is not OSS, and not something that can
be included in Fedora Core.

> I've noticed that there is some HTML documentation included with the
 > Fedora rpm, but nothing quite as helpful as man pages.  If there
 > are not any licencing issues with the man pages (could there be?),
 > would it be possible for the Fedora rpms to include these?
 > I have no idea where they come from.

If there are GLUT manpages which are licensed under a proper OSI
approved OSS license, once the author of them submits them to the
freeglut project, they will probably appear in a future release of
freeglut.

Study the SuSE src.rpm and determine where the manpages they allegedly
ship actually come from, and try to find a license for them.

Another option is for someone to volunteer to write manpages for
freeglut from scratch and submit them to the freeglut project.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.