fc5t3 gnome power manager crash during yum update

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 26 19:32:06 UTC 2006

> While yum updating fc5t3 I got the kernel grubby crash (known) and
> also a popup that the gnome power manager crashed unexpectedly.
A terminal launch shows:

*** WARNING ***
[main] gpm-main.c:196 (14:27:57):        Unable to determine the address
of the message bus
GNOME Power Manager has encountered a non-critical warning.
Consult
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=gnome-power-manager for
any known issues or a possible fix.
Please file a bug with this complete message if not present
*** WARNING ***

** ERROR **: This program cannot start until you start the dbus session
daemon
This is usually started in X or gnome startup (depending on distro)
You can launch the session dbus-daemon manually with this command:
eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

aborting...

==========
If I start up dbus as it suggests, gnome-power-manager will not crash.
This is poor error recovery - if I had not launched this from a terminal
I'd have no idea what the problem was.
==========
Also, during startup I got a pop up box saying:
"Cannot find or run the base session script. Running Gnome failsafe
session instead."
Then I got a message saying startup scripts will not be ran. I suspect
this is the source of the problem above.

> When I clicked "inform developers" in the gui, it told me the lists
> were out of date and offered to update them.
>
> After updating the lists, another gui came up prompting me to select
> the component that crashed.
I would consider it a bug in itself that bug-buddy is not smart enough
to select the component that crash itself.