eth0 ceases to function after reboot on FC5T3

Dane Mutters dmutters at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:19:08 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 01:34 am, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:38:21PM -0800, Dane Mutters wrote:
> > Fedora originally reported the MAC as being: 00:04:5A:55:96:57, but now
> > Fedora and Knoppix are both reporting it as: FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  Very
> > strange...
>
> I've seen more than one Ethernet card dying this way, so it might
> very well be a real hardware failure.
>
> What you can try: power off the system completely, remove power cable,
> wait 10 sec or so, plug in the cable and power on again and see if
> something has changed.  At least with one piece of (bad) HW this
> helped in the past (but it can go wrong again at every boot).
>
> --
> --    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
> --    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
> --    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204

That fixed it!  It now reports the MAC address of "00:04:5A:55:96:57".  It
does look like it's at least somewhat hardware-related.  The one question I
have, though, is why does this this card work with the wrong MAC address in
Knoppix, but not in Fedora?  Could it have to do with Kudzu segfaulting?

Thanks for your help, everybody.

--Dane