The Latest Power Manager

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Feb 27 13:54:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 07:40 -0500, Partha Bagchi wrote:
> The latest power manager is competing with the previous one to be the
> silliest one of all. It is getting sillier and sillier to use the piece
> of abomination especially when it has no exit button,

Does your file manager have an exit button? No..

> I do not (which
> part of not is difficult to understand??) want to use it.

Yes you do, but you probably don't know :-) - g-p-m also manages the
display power (DPMS) in concert with gnome-screensaver... Also, in the
event a user plugs in a UPS we want an icon to appear and g-p-m to
manage it... Hence, we want this process running in the desktop session
all the time..

>  Now I have no
> way of telling it to do nothing.

Maybe if you looked a bit harder it is possible to configure g-p-m so it
doesn't do anything.. (System->Prefs->More Prefs->Power Mgmt)... of
course that doesn't mean that it's completely bug free..

>  Unplugging the power puts it in suspend
> mode immediately.

That is a bug.. and I guess the one that upsets you.. I've been seeing
that one too... did you file a bug so it will get fixed?

> Considering that the wireless (Broadcom bcm43xx) is
> not mature enough (starts with network disconnected balloon), it is an
> immediate pain in the butt to reactivate it. Also, since the wireless is
> built into the Kernel, no way to get rid of that one either!!
>
> Please give it a rest and include a button to exit from it so that I do
> not have to 86 it every time I start the computer.  BTW, in case it is
> not clear, I am using this on a laptop.
>
> Sheesh!

Thanks for your input.

    David