What is beagle supposed to find?

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 27 14:58:23 UTC 2006

The GUI menu item Places > Search has replaced the older working Places
> Find Files or some such name.  The old one always located files on my
computer if I entered a partial file name.

The current Search app, beagle, seems to be useless.

[gerry at fc5t3 ~]$ rpm -q beagle
beagle-0.2.1-12

I have preferences set to index my home directory and the system
root, /.  If I enter fedora as the search string in the Find: box, I
first get a message that nothing was found, and then after a wait of
about 20 seconds, all I get is references to messages held in Evolution
for this mailing list.

If I cd to my home directory and execute

grep -R fedora *

I get many results of files containing the string fedora.

If I execute

locate fedora

I get many files with fedora in the name.

How is one supposed to use beagle to find these things?

I would really like to see this tool be useful.

Thanks.

Gerry