New tester

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 22:08:01 UTC 2006

On 2/27/06, Havard Rast Blok <newsmail1 at hblok.net> wrote:

[ snip ]

Welcome Arthur!

> It's good to see more new people here. I've recently joined the list
> myself, and am still slowly finding my way around the tools and tricks.
> (Search on Bugzilla for example; beats me...)

That's where I am now I suppose.

As for what to test or even how to test, you'll probably find endless
> discussions and books on both of these questions. But given the specs on
> your testing machine, in I my opinion verifying that the most common tools
> still work well on an older machine would be useful. Because I think a
> basic installation, running a browser, e-mail client and some office
> applications, etc. should still be feasible on a machine a few years old.
> So if it takes an intolerable amount of time to boot, or to start an
> application, I'd stay that's an issue worth flagging on this list.

Fair enough.

Furthermore, I think one good way of testing in general is to try to use
> the application or system as you normally would do, i.e. some kind of use
> case testing. That is, would day-to-day use cause any issues, or even,
> would your mom be able to cope?

This is more towards  my original query as to testign methadology. Thanks.

I suppose some on the list will disagree to some of these views (but I
> don't mean this to be a troll). My main point is that in order to make
> mainstream Linux Desktop happen, we have to see it through the eyes of
> inexperienced users. Surprisingly, my mom does not ask about how to
> upgrade her Fedora laptop using yum, or how to set up a wlan. Rather, the
> most occurring questions are: "Do I right-click or left-click this button?
> Double or single click? How do I disconnect the USB disk again? And why
> does it not always show up on the screen when I plug it in?" (In FC4, I'm
> stuck on the last one).

KDE in FC4 may currently do this, I know it does for  CD/DVD Roms. Also with
KDE, you can add the "Storage Media" applet to a taskbar, sorry, not sure
how to do this with Gnome.

Havard

Peace.