fc5t3 suspend option soft lockup

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 28 13:15:14 UTC 2006

Skunk Worx wrote:
> I have a desktop PC and am trying fc5t3. It's fully yum updated. For
> fun, I tried System->Shutdown->Suspend. I get a text screen and :
>
> Stopping tasks :===<3> BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!
>
> Pid: 643, comm     cx88 tvaudio
> (then a register dump i guess...)
>
> I have to reset the PC to get it back up. I guess this is a feature for
> laptops or something?
Also desktops - eg knock of tonite, suspending your machine, and restart
- quickly tomorrow with everything how you left it :-)

Nice in theory, but from other mentions here, a majority of BIOS don't
meet the specification for suspend; meaning that workarounds are
required per dodgy bios (which would be a huge effort). The machines
that it works on meet spec. Sometimes a BIOS update is released by
manufacturer that improves support for suspend.

It would be nice to have FC "test" for succesful suspend/resume, and pop
a dialog if it's previously failed suggesting that unless things have
changed, "kids - do not try this at home". A successful resume would
change the config to no longer show the message. Also, default the
dialog to warn after initial install.

DaveT.