Burning ISOs

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:44:14 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, Dariusz J. Garbowski <thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/26/2006 04:08 PM, Ben Steeves wrote:
> >DVDs are sadly another matter, but even then my
> > failure rate has been about 5-8%, not too shabby really, and that was
> > on an older DVD burner.
>
> I've had mixed results with DVD burning due to questionable media
> quality. The moment I switched to Taiyo Yuden-based Verbatims I have
> 100% success rate! Make sure you buy good quality media (e.g. not all
> Verbatims are good either!) -- see "Blank Media & Quality FAQ"

Ironically, with my older LG single-layer burner, I burned a lot more
DVD coasters with brand-name Memorex discs than I did with no-name
discs.  On my new Samsung dual-layer burner, I haven't burned any
coasters* except when something external happened (like droping the X
server out from under the shell running the burn -- accidentally of
course :-).

*with single-layer media, that is.  I have yet to try dual-layer media.

PS: I use growisofs from the command line for all my DVD burning
needs, and cdrecord for CD burning (also from the shell).  I don't
need no steenkin' GUI.  :-)

Ben
 _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs at metacon.ca
( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben.steeves at unb.ca
 X     against HTML e-mail                     GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
/ \ http://www.metacon.ca/ascii      Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves