fc5t3 usb disk or disk-1?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Feb 28 16:33:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 05:07:23AM -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> If you unmount again and remount the names
> will change to /media/disk-2, /media/disk-3,
> /media/disk-4/, ..., etc.  This has been occurring in
> FC5T2 also.

If you are seeing that then there is a problem (unless you are
mounting via 'gnome-mount' but unmounting by other means).
'gnome-mount' lacks smarts to reuse an existing mount point even if
there is nothing currently mounted on it.  Such mount point is
supposed to disappear when you are doing "Unmount volume" from a
corresponding menu.  If that failed then you are filling up /media/
with all this "left behind" useless stuff like you describe above.

If you are indeed seeing such failures, and not something else
is at work in your case, then you should report that in bugzilla.

Of course if you have a number of things mounted at the same, which
would otherwise mount as /media/disk, then you will get
/media/disk-1, /media/disk-2, ... quite legitimately with what is
what beeing a lack of a draw.

One of related troubles is that "leftovers" in /media/ are owned by
root even if you got such failures from a non-root account.  I fully
expect to see machines with pretty strange looking /media/ when this
will show up "in the field".

   Michal