Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 18:27:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:16:08PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> That doesn't really make much sense in the Linux world -- if the network
> is configured and running then all users on the machine _have_ got
> access to the it. I think there are some iptables hacks around to

The administration may see that differently to the physical topology. We
do actually enforce user level management for some network protocols notably
AX.25 where the authorization to use the radio generally is tied to a user
and multiple users effectively appear as different "addresses"

> It isn't 'my' WEP key. It is the system's WEP key. You are trying to
> impose a policy which doesn't make any sense in this environment.

What is it they say about being able to see in stereo through a keyhole 8)

There are cases of systems where it is meaningful to deal with authentication
and control of interfaces at a user level. Different users having different
WEP keys is one possible case but more common are things like end users
bluetooth connections not being made available to remote users sharing the
system.

> WEP keys set up a system-wide resource which _any_ user of the system
> can then utilise. Networks _aren't_ a per-user resource in practice, and

See example above. They can be. It isnt perhaps the most common situation
but it is a very real one and I've dealt with people who actively wanted to
route some users via different networks or deny them some access and for good
reasons.