FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:23:34 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
> If we are fighting endless growth, we should be defining what core
> really means and then trim core to meet this goal which would result in
> a single CD or just build different targets like server or desktop. The
> current method of packages showing up and disappearing in core without
> an obvious reason behind them is not really sustainable.

Regarding the number of CDs Fedora has, I think it would be good if:

- There was an official Fedora site you could go to where you would
get a clone of the package selection screen and you could submit what
packages you would want to install. It would then tell you which of
the 5 CDs you need to download. In addition, could it also give you
the option of downloading a kickstart file that has these preset? I
haven't used kickstart so I don't know if that would be possible. A
webpage like this would also be able to collect useful statistics on
which packages are best to group on what CDs so as to keep the average
number of CDs needed to a minimum.

- It would also be really cool if you could click a button on the
package selection screen during installation, and say 'I only have
Fedora CDs 1 and 2'. It would then grey-out any packages that would
otherwise require you to have more CDs.

n0dalus.