FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 01:31:41 UTC 2006

Peter Jones wrote:

> Even with all the hardware data, we need more than that -- we need to
> know essentially all of the info in anaconda.ks.cfg, as well as the full
> packageset (think NVREA) selected. Even with a really good data model,
> this explodes to be very large, quite quickly.  And guess what?  In
> nearly all test cases that aren't fresh installs, we're going to find
> out that there's some package google doesn't know about on the box.
> Sometimes that package will matter, sometimes it won't.

Enumerate the problems.
Apply yourselves to the easy ones.
Ask yourselves, "how can we do this?" for each important one.

The list will become smaller, and over time someone will have some
useful ideas about the harder ones and someone might find a budget if
it's important enough.

Complaining about it won't help, tho asking here for help might. For
example:
I have a couple of laptops, and I regularly move around between about
six access points. OS X does it beautifully, whether the AP is hidden or
not: when I open the lid it connects to whichever is handy, gets an IP
address etc and is ready for business.

SUSE 10. which is on my new laptop because RC5T1 was an utter failure,
is a great pain. It might just be documentation, but I've not found a
good way to make it work.

FC3 is barely tolerable; I have to manually run the appropriate
ifdown/ifup incantation.

Ubuntu I've not tested, but its plan is perfection in Dapper, to be
achieved by asking users (like us), "Can you help in this thing?"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait