FC5T2 - not ready for prime time.

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 13:44:22 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> We'll start with "it's painfully slow."
>>
>> I'm on dialup, it seems like it takes minutes to do an enquiry.
>

> I used it on dialup on several occasions and I dont see this problem. Of
> couse its slower than when being used in a T1 connection.

<shrug>
It's a problem here. I'd have ADSL except I'm out of its reach. I rarely
have the luxury of a dialup line with nothing else on it.

>> We'll proceed to "its UI is cumbersome." Especially for those not
>> already familiar with it. If you make changes, don't rely on
>> experienced users to evaluate it, get some tyros, people you'd like to
>> enrol as helpers for the future. I could also mention, "it's
>> confusing." Some of the problem, I think, is in Red Hat's
>> implementation and the way its ordered the data. If I want to report a
>> problem in the kernel, let me identify the kernel, maybe
>> kernel-2.6.10-1.760_dl3, and you can match it up with your view of the
>> "product."
>

> You need to be much more specific than that. Can you produce mockups of
> what the interface and workflow of what you believe is needed?

Not really. I've done almost no UI design in almost 30 years.

>> I've also used Debian's BTS: while it's not brilliant, it can search
>> for matching bugs, and it can work offline without referent to the
>> master database. Since Debian has way more packages & architectures
>> than RH/Fedora, I presume the size of its database isn't a problem
>> from its performance perspective.
>

> I am not sure. Database performance is a definite bottleneck on many
> occasions

On Debian's BTS?

Feel free to ask mdz @ ubuntu.com - he could tell you.

>> One of the things you might like about bts is that it's a script that
>> runs on the user system which is usually the one with the problem, and
>> it can get some basic information about the software installed and the
>> hardware in use. For the users' peace of mind, it allows her to see
>> what's being said, and on her okay, mails it to the bts.
>

> I dont think Red Hat or Fedora is going to dump its entire history of
> bugs to move into bts unless bts is far more advanced and provides
> capabilities that cannot be inherited into bugzilla.

I don't think I said any thing of that kind.

>> Would that help Mike Harris sort out video problems? I think it would.
>>
> Not sure what video problems you are talking about. Got a bug report?
> Why dont you ask him whether dumping bugzilla is what is needed to fix
> any video problems?. He is not in this list but he is on fedora-devel
> list and hangs out all the time in #fedora-devel.

As I recall, Mike spends most of his life these days fighting bugs in
xorg software, much as he has since he was hired, I little before
Valhalla I think. Whenever anyone has a hardware-related problem (or
question), the first question is "What's the hardware?" I know, I ask it
on fedora-list often enough, two or three times today at a guess.
Surely, Mike asks it too?

--

Cheers
John