FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 14:08:00 UTC 2006

gb spam wrote:

>On 1/19/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>I would just like to add my voice to the "I miss the install
>everything" crowd.  I use it.  I value it.  It works for me in my
>scenario.  None of your "its bad because..." reasons (which are valid
>in many situations, btw) apply to me.  I would like it back.
>

>>Everything installations are generally a bad idea.
>>

>Generally, but by no means always a bad idea.
>
>Perhaps we should get the "yum install \*" option removed from yum
>then, and removed from kickstart too?  I'm joking, of course, but I
>hope that you can see that by providing workarounds you are validating
>our viewpoint.

I dont consider a yum install \* a valid workaround since I dont see a
problem at all . The tool provides the capability and I have never used
it because I think its pretty much useless to install everything
available in the repositories but its available and I wanted to point
out that. Its humanly impossible to test all the software manually. Some
of that work is being done using automated test cases in the build
system. Users should install software that they use and can test
manually for the test/devel releases  which is limited. If you must use
a everything installation on unusual occasions then kickstart is
powerful enough to manage that and tons more. If you can work on making
kickstart profile generation in a web interface and similar things
easier apart from the system-config-kickstart GUI tool I would welcome
that. Work is already being done to document kickstart capabilities
better in the installation guide.

--
Rahul