yum wants to remove my kernels, why?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jan 22 21:23:14 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>>>I still think it is a bad idea to install the new kernel automatically.
>>>The worst thing that can happen for a newbie
>>>is that he turns on his laptop and it doesn't work
>>>

>>New kernels should never result in major regressions. We need to work on
>>that instead of providing workarounds. What users can do is help
>>checking updates-testing repository and making sure that it works. More
>>feedback would definitely help increase the robustness of updates.
>>

>I'm very happy with yum - in fact I think it is the best thing about Fedora -
>but aren't you being excessively idealistic
>in thinking that any kernel update will work on every machine running Fedora?

We should shoot in for the best we can. We just cant afford to have
users running any insecure kernel and thereby invalidating all the other
security features[1] implemented..

>As for feedback, I've found it very difficult to report on problems I've had,
>and when I have managed to do this
>there has never been any useful response.
>I think bugzilla should be made simpler to use
>if more feedback is desired.

There is some discussions going on towards this. Meanwhile bug buddy
using xmlrpc in the future is good news.

>By contrast, I've always had a good response
>when writing to this list.

Bugzilla is just more efficient as a tracking system. Developers might
respond here and just forget about it. Bugzilla is a open TODO list.

--
Rahul

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security/