FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 15:27:42 UTC 2006

Hi

>> Please explain what is good about the everything installation option.
>> Dont throw around vague notions.
>>

> It saves me time when selecting packages to install.

Which ones?

> It saves me time to not have to install packages individually.

What are you using your system for?. Is it a
desktop/workstation/server/development system?. Doesnt it fit into one
of these profiles?

> I don't have to download packages (via yum or whatever) that have
> already been downloaded in the isos.

You cant work with them using the current tools provided anyway. Thats
what we are trying to fix already. If you dont use yum to keep yourself
updated installing everything is dangareous since it brings in potential
security issues with packages you wouldnt even use.

> I don't need a kickstart file.

> I don't need to waste space on disk with rpms when I already have the
> package installed from the initial installation.

You waste disk space by installing packages you wouldnt use. You will to
keep packages updated. Performance would do down with deamons and other
session programs. You would be installing tons of world languages which
you wouldnt be using and so on.

--
Rahul