FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Jan 26 17:12:56 UTC 2006

Hi

>Instead of the "Everything" install, I'll try to make the case for bulk
>selections as outlined above, note that in some cases this relates to
>perceived rather than actual need:
>
>1) Testers who want to test every corner of the system.

Enable the option only during test/devel releases and disable them in
the GA release.

>2) Some of 1) might even be journalists and fair share of them labels
>things missing if they can't find them or missed to install them. Or so
>it seems to me.
>3) The survivalist type: Mobile users/developers/... who'd rather waste
>some disk space than find themselves having something not installed when
>they're away from net access.

Improve the post installation package management to be flexible so that
it can offer to install packages from CD/DVD.

>4) Hunter-gatherers who want everything under the sun just because it
>exists and no you won't make them behave with rational arguments.

We shouldnt be designing Fedora for corner cases just because users dont
listen to rational arguments.

>5) Number 4) light, if they install on a spare machine to "browse" the
>new version in order to decide what they actually need. Rarely seen ;-).

So admittedly a corner case.

>First, software just installed usually should only cause updates to take
>longer. If we distribute software, it'd better be secure. Nevertheless
>we shouldn't enable to many daemons by default, rather have the users
>activate them if they need them. The issues you bring up can be handled
>differently than by not installing specific software IMO.

True but I dont see much traction in cutting down the number of services
and everything installation definitedly brings in a number of
unnecessarily services.  If you want to help, refer to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefaultServices

--
Rahul