Sound Input

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Fri Jan 27 15:23:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 19:32 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 26 Jan 2006 19:09, Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> >
> > Absolutely no luck. Everything seems to be set up correctly but both
> > ekiga and audacity show no sound input. I've tried as a normal user
> > and as root.
> >
> I had problems some time back with em10k1 and audigy.  One thing I found
> helpful was to run alsamixer from a console, then experiment with
> settings there.
>
> There is one enormous problem with Creative cards - they sell thousands
> of cards with the same name, but they may have entirely different
> chipsets.  If you can get the specific name from the top edge of the
> card and google for that +alsa you may find help there.
>
> If that still fails, take all the info you can to
> alsa-user at lists.sourceforge.net.  They are helpful.  HTH
>
> Anne

So my test system dual boots ubuntu dapper and fc5 and under ubuntu,
sound works fine. I can record from the mic using audacity. They don't
have ekiga in the main repositories yet so I couldn't test that.

On a laptop with a different sound card and FC5, things work as
expected, both ekiga and audacity can get sound input from the mic.

It seems FC5 has trouble with the emu10k1 driver and some sound cards.
On two different versions of the SB Live card on two of my test systems,
sound input fails with FC5. (#179109)

I've had a long standing problem with FC4 and audigy cards on two of my
systems where the gnome mixer doesn't have any idea about the capture
side, there is no capture tab no matter what I enable. (#155093 for no
initial sound, #179113 for no capture tab)

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |