call for testing, dmraid in rawhide

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Sun Jan 1 06:49:56 UTC 2006

Andy Burns wrote:

> OK, now that rawhide is bootable/installable again for me I have tried
> dmraid again.
>
> With BIOS in SATA=AHCI mode I booted a rescue CD and did
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
>
> Then changed BIOS to SATA=RAID mode, rebooted went into the ICH7R
> option ROM and created two arrays (a 50GB RAID1 from 50GB of each disk
> and a 400GB from the remaining 200GB of each disk)
>
> Booted from rawhide 2005-12-31 with command line
> linux dmraid vga=773 debug console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty1
>
> Kernel boots and starts /sbin/loader
> I choose language/dhcp/http install
> Machine retrieves stage2.img, starts anaconda, starts X11
> then immediately backtraces the same way as it did before
> http://adslpipe.co.uk/dmraidtrace.jpg

I have a via chipset with 2 80gig disks RAID-1 together.
I too grabbed the lastest bootdisk.img and did a http development
install today but the install went through fine until the final reboot:

Here are some interesting things (bugs) I found out:
1.  Whether using the 'dmraid' boot arg or not, I could not visually
tell the difference of what anaconda actually detected in terms of a
physical harddisk while in the partitioning screen.  There's really no
confirmation that dmraid is actually playing a part of the partitioning
scheme.
2. There's an option to choose a boot loader method: to install on MBR
or the front of the partition 1.  What's interesting is the this screen
shows the device as /dev/mapper/viahhegwhg instead of
/dev/mapper/via_hhegwhg.  For some reason the underscore character is
chopped out.
3. I choose for LVM to auto partition my disk and the install went
through normally so I *assumed* that the two drives we're mirror from
the very starting, but on the first reboot, the kernel saw two
conflicting logical volumes, then  /dev/sdb took precendence for some
reason and /dev/sda was hung out to dry.  I disconnected the /dev/sdb
drive and the system booted fine (granted with no raid).
4. I don't think that 'dmraid' was added to the grub.conf file
automatically once installation finished.

I'm still not sure what I should be excepting but I hope the work
continues in this area.
-eric wood