2.6.15

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 15:24:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:16:31PM +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
 > http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/kernel/linux-2.6.15.tar.bz2.sign?rev=1.1&sortby=date&view=auto
 >
 > >* Tue Jan  3 2006 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > >- Update to 2.6.15 final.
 >
 > Nice milestone :-)
 >
 > Just wondering about version numbering in Fedora, how come the rawhide
 > kernel has been named 2.6.14-1.x when it has clearly been tracking
 > 2.6.15-rcx-gitx

iirc it confuses rpm when faced with decisions like
"which is newer, 2.6.14.1 or 2.6.14-git1"

With so many different 'styles' of versioning in use upstream
2.6.x
2.6.x.y
2.6.x-gitY
2.6.x-rcY
2.6.x-rcY-gitZ

it's almost guaranteed that rpm's brain will leak out of its ears
and do the wrong thing when moving between arbitary versions.

So we make its life simple, and stick with a 2.6.x-CVSident_$releasever

 > In locaplus something" suffix, and others adopt the forthcoming version
 > number with a "pre" suffix?

Maybe their upstreams have more managable version numbers ;)

		Dave