xorg-x11-drivers [inappropriately] requires all drivers modules

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Fri Jan 6 08:33:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:33 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> I attempted to remove some of the xorg-x11-drv-mga /s3 etc since I have
> only an ATI card, but found that the particular drivers "is needed by
> (installed) xorg-x11-drivers".
>
> Can the .spec be modified so that -drivers requires one-or-more -drv?
> Also, the -drv-* would then need be a provider of -drv. This means an
> update would only need to dl/install one of the 50 or so drivers.
>
> I guess by default it would make sense to install a few base drv that
> can be used as a fallback when no specific driver exists. The installer
> would need to "know" which drv to install above the fallbacks, perhaps
> such code needs to be invented first ?

that is a LOT of work, for almost no gain (X drivers are really tiny).
In addition it makes moving disks between machines harder etc etc... so
I hope the fedora core developers spend their time on more important
issues than this ;)
(it can easily be several manweeks of work.. and there's much bigger
fish to fry on the X front, like automatic configuration etc etc)