does your video resume after a suspend to ram withkernel-2.6.15-1.1823_FC4

Brown, Len len.brown at intel.com
Sat Jan 7 05:41:35 UTC 2006

>[mailto:fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Paul Johnson

>Is suspend & resume working on your laptop?
>
>I was told that one of the goals in FC5 is to make laptop
>suspend/restore work.  I've been testing with various kernels and have
>been having the same problem since 2.6.13.  The system will suspend,
>but when I resume, the video stays dark.  This is happening now with
>the testing kernel-2.6.15-1.1823_FC4
>
>http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC4/RPMS.kernel/
>
>I want to know if other laptop users have a similar problem?  I've
>asked in the gnome-power-management list and they say there's nothing
>they can do about the problem if it is in the kernel, and that's where
>I  think it is. Here's why: the laptop stays dark even if I suspend
>from runlevel 3 (never starting X or gdm at all).  I think that means
>the problem does not lie with the Nvidia X driver.
>
>This system I'm testing is mostly FC4, but it has udev and hal updated
>from the g-p-m site and it has the kernel from Dave J's site.

Paul,
If a laptop supports Linux, then it is a BIOS bug if the BIOS
does not re-post video on resume from S3.

Of course that is a big "if" -- as it is unlikely the
laptop suppler sold you a unit with Linux installed...

The next line of defense is indeed the window system.
The X graphics driver can often restore video on resume from S3
because Linux switches from text to video console on resume
and that provokes the driver to restore graphics.
So sometimes updating the X driver helps here.

There are some kernel hacks and vbetool that may help,
but they're workarounds -- try at your own risk.
workaround are listed here in Documentation/power/video.txt
a copy can be found in the kernel source tree:

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;h=912bed87c758457b2f42b6decb1964326efce3de;hb=0aec63e67c69545ca757a73a66f5dcf05fa484bf;f=Documentation/power/video.txt

cheers,
-Len