Seriously messed up system - is there anyway back?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jan 7 15:03:50 UTC 2006

Paul F. Johnson writes:

> Hi,
>
> For some reason I am unable figure out, my main box has gone insane and
> decided not to bother installing correctly a whole raft of packages from a yum
> update (despite yum reporting the had been installed correctly).
>
> An example is that I'm having to use kde instead of gnome as gnome complains
> thus
>
> There was an error starting the GNOME settings daemon. Some things, such as
> themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The Settings
> daemon restarted too many times. The last error message was: Child process did
> not give an error message, unknown failure occured. GNOME will try to restart
> the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
>
> If I do rpm -q gnome-desktop, I'm told it's not installed. Parts of evolution
> didn't install as well as a pile of others - firefox is just saying permission
> denied for me (as me) and me as su.
>
> I've cleaned the metafiles from yum and rebuilt the rpmdb, but all I have is a
> partially usable system.

Without knowing specifically what's broken, there aren't many suggestions
that can be made.

If you've rebuilt rpmdb and you now have a stable RPM database, the next
step is to reinstall any missing packages.  You'll have to compile a list of
packages you have installed, then look at all the packages on the Fedora
CD/DVDs, use rpm -q -i -p to obtain the description of each package, and
decide if it needs to be installed.