VMWare and FC5 Rawhide

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 9 01:58:52 UTC 2006

Deji Akingunola wrote:
> --- "Brian C. Huffman" <huffman at graze.net> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone gotten the latest VMWare (5.5.1 Build
>>19175) working with the
>>latest Fedora Rawhide?
>>
>>I'm able to build the kernel modules, but when I try
>>to run the
>>workstation frontend, I get the following:
>>
>>/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: error while loading
>>shared
>>libraries:
>>

> /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0:
>
>>cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission
>>denied
>>

> Selinux policy is blocking it from running, disabling
> selinux would make it 'work'.
>
> I've been seeing this too with third party
> applications, does anyone know how to work around this
> with selinux still enabled? Relabelling the files
> doesn't seem to effecf it.
>
> Deji

I believe some file content needs to be added to the third party
software with different commands to adjust policy. The selinux list
answered questions quickly and led me in the right direction when I was
actively on the list. I think the commands are cryptic but with usage,
it might become an easy process.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/

might be a good place to get answers or directions to the commands, help
files and documentation.

It would be great if third party programs were flagged for SELinux
attention. I think the rpm database contains information on file
content. A utility progam or work with the vendors to add security
content to their programs would be helpful.
Needing to disable SELinux when using third party software is a bit
extreme. I believe relabeling only relabels according to information in
policy files.

Jim