mono? true?

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Jan 10 12:07:25 UTC 2006

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> gcj IIRC is clean room

That doesn't apply to patents, only copyrights.  You can infringe on a
patent without ever even knowing it existed.  That's why patents are so
feared.
> > I for one hope this news item is true and it'll be a part of Fedora Core.
>
> Same here. Then when that happens we can have mp3 and mpeg support
> returned as well as libcss (which again is only a claim of patent
> infringement).

We do have Mono now, but we're not going to be getting MP3 or MPEG.
Those have actual claims that have withstood the courts backing them
up.  Unless a good, open license appears, we have to wait for those
patents to expire.  As for libcss, that isn't just about patents.  The
bigger concern there is the DMCA.  The CSS decryption code is one of few
things you can be more sure we will not be getting than MP3.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/