mono? true?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Tue Jan 10 14:39:14 UTC 2006

n0dalus wrote:

>On 1/10/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
>

>>I'd be most interested to know what changed from yesterday to today. Why
>>is it that for FC3 and FC4 mono was a no-go and now it is allowed in.
>>What was the magic solution?
>>

>I'd like to know too. I noticed wine is now in FC4 extras as well. Has
>Fedora changed its project goals?
>
>n0dalus.

I think you're overlooking this section in the mono "announcement" (with
my emphasis):

"This was for a variety of reasons; Some were *business-related* and
others were *strategic* in nature but those don’t really matter right now."

That line doesn't say to me 'we got over the fear of patents,
copyrights, and lawsuits.' That says to me, 'mono is related to Novell
and/or Microsoft, and Red Hat didn't like that.' I'm in no way the type
of person worries that Red Hat is out to screw over the community, and I
realize that this 0xdeadbeef site isn't an official spokesperson for Red
Hat, but in this particular case it sure looks like an admission that
people weren't being entirely up-front about the motivations behind
their actions. I'm not saying this to stir up trouble, but rather to
point out how it appears so that those involved can clarify, if appropriate.

DC