Latest rawhide vs Bootchart

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 19:51:01 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
> I trust the hardware clock enough that there should be an option
> not to wait for ntpdate.  The machine boots within a few hours
> (usually, mere minutes) of controlled shutdown.  Plus, I'm willing
> to tolerate a slop of 2 or 3 seconds for the first half a minute,
> in order to save 15 seconds of time at bootup.

The best behavior compromise in many cases may be to attempt once or
twice with a total delay of a half second or so, then go into the
background. If the server is reachable and responding quickly we have
accurate time.    This would not, however, be possible without either
a new init system or hacks to ntpdate.

It would also be useful if services could be tagged as 'wait ntp' so
that they don't start until ntpdate is gone. Thus other, less time
sensitive, services could run during the duration ntpdate was running
but kerberos will not start until it completes or gives up.