gnome-volume-manager-1.5.9-1

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jan 15 03:45:33 UTC 2006

n0dalus wrote:
> On 1/15/06, Don Springall <don_springall at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Gnome volume manager is crashing during gnome startup since today updates.
>>Staring it from a terminal seems to keep it up.
>>

> I am also getting other errors since yesterday's updates:
>
> -The Application "mixer_applet2" has quit unexpectedly.
> -The panel encountered a problem while loading "OFAIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".
> -The Application "evolution" has quit unexpectedly. (after clicking
> the close button -- unexpectedly?)
> -And the gweather applet quits with an error message when you right
> click->details, as well as when you leave gnome-session.
>
> Interestingly, the text for the the 'unexpectedly' errors is "You can
> inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it. Or you can
> restart the application right now.". This is not worded very well,
> particularly since some have a 'Restart Application' button and others
> (for gnome-volume-manager's error) don't. Also I didn't know that
> informing developers and restarting the application are mutually
> exclusive tasks. Perhaps a better message would be "You can [manually]
> restart the application. If this problem continues to occur, you may
> want to inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it.",
> where [manually] is if it's got a 'Restart Application' button or not.
>
> One other thing I noticed is that after 'OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet'
> dies, you get a question asking if you want to delete the applet from
> your configuration. I imagine that most users who have no clue what an
> OAFIID:GNOME is will just hit Delete, and then never realize the
> connection between that and for some reason having no Volume control
> in their panel. Maybe gnome could hold off on those kinds of dialogues
> until after 3 logins or so, and have better labels than
> OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet. Maybe even better would be a 'Don't try
>
> Just some ideas,
> n0dalus.

I am getting the same errors for the same applications/applets. The
application to inform developers is also effected 'bug-buddy'

I don't find the choices presented to be confusing. The inform
developers choice can be used to send valuable data or to save it to a
file and include it to a report. I used this feature several times.
Since bug-buddy is down and out also, it is not much help.
The problem with bug-buddy reports are they default to localhost to mail
the reports. Since localhost mail is flagged as unallowable for
localhost mail, it usually never makes it there.
This feature is for GNOME developers via localhost mail that they
accept. If the actions are confusing or can be better layed out,
reporting upstream might give you a faster answer as to why the layout
and non-conformity exists.

With the bug reports that I submitted using inform developers, they were
all solved with whatever information was collected and mailed off.
Fortunately, things usually work and bug buddy is not a commonly needed
program.

Bug reports are most likely filed because of this failures seeming
commonplace for the last round of updates.

Jim.

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!