Bouncing list user -- "AntiSpam UOL <eorgan945.sspam at uol.com.br>"

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jan 15 09:24:24 UTC 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Every time I send a message to this list, I get a message back
> from "AntiSpam UOL <eorgan945.sspam at uol.com.br>."
> The response is in Brazilian, and I am not sure if it is a legit
> response, a bounce or spam/phishing.  Would a system
> admin for the Fedora mailing list machine please look into this?
>
> Thankyou!
>
>         Miles

This is a now-famous irritation.  The message is part of an anti-spam
system that sends out these messages to verify the sender.  It has got
to be among the most irritating systems I've seen.  I highly recommend
that you blacklist that domain completely if at all possible.

Unfortunately, whatever subscriber has their email pass through that
system is not subscribed as the reported address, making it very
difficult to figure out what the offending address is in order to remove
it.  The only way would be to send an email to each list subscriber with
a unique subject to fingerprint the offender.

The administrators of that system need to understand the flaw.  They are
aware of the side effects but refuse to do anything about it.  I
encourage anyone who gets these messages to treat them and report them
as spam, to blacklist that domain, and to complain to the domain
administrators.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com