How many FireFox 64bit users are there?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:26:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 08:05 -0600, Justin Conover wrote:
> I'm curious how many of the 64 bit os users out there, really need a
> 64bit web browser?
>
> Is there any reason you couldn't live with a 32 bit one?

I rather not have unnecessary 32bit libs installed.
Plus, I don't really like/need/use flash.

> Can Fedora put firefox.i386 in the x86_64 tree, just like several
> other i386 rpms?

As long as it's optional, I don't see any reason why not.

> I realize adding it is pretty simple, I've done it for a long time.
> However with processors being realitivly cheap new users are buying
> the amd64 all the time and want to run a 64 bit os.  We either turn
> around and tell them, go to mozilla.org grab the package and install
> it else were ( can't find fedora bugs ) or cp your fedora.repo add
> i386 through it, and overlap a hole lot of packages, "have fun with
> that"....
>
> I personally use one from mozilla.org at the moment because I do need
> things like flash and plugins like that.  Before you start whining
> telling me its closed source, my wife is a photorgrapher and her
> website has a lot of flash, I'm sure many of you can understand
> telling your wife no, can't go to your website because you used closed
> source flash would go over like a lead ballon ;)  And its not just
> here site, I go to a lot of places that have flash and so do a lot of
> people.

Flash itself is a big pile of ****.
It still uses OSS sound.
It eats huge amount of CPU time just to display useless adverts.

> Anyway, I propose we either
>
> 1.)  add firefox.i386 and all the deps to the x86_64 tree and install
> it by default.

What default? Just for flash?

> 2.) step 1 plus just drop the x86_64 version.

Again, you want flash? you want 32bit firefox? good for you!
Either install the required 32bit depths or install a 32bit OS to being
with.
If you don't see a performance difference between 32bit and 64bit, why
did you bother to go 64bit in the first place?

> 3.) tell me to take a hike

I'm too polite. ;)

4. Wait for the open source flash player to mature.
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/)

> I don't care which way you do it, like I said I can get it and have
> for a long time, but I'm not new to linux, new to 64bit OS or new to
> Fedora, and think that person would have a better time in Fedora if
> they can use there browser the first go round and get plugins and
> whatever else to work.

If you want to be an early adapter and use 64bit *now*, you'll have to
learn how to live with missing software/hardware/what-ever support.
Else, stick to 32bit till the 64bit arch matures.

Gilboa