More on pulling in mono (was Rawhide updates 14th Jan 2006)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:19:40 UTC 2006

On 1/15/06, Paul F. Johnson <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> What I normally do is a simple yum -y update based on the previous days
> rawhide update. I would imagine that as mono only appeared in the last 6
> days (or so), that a package which previously didn't need mono now does
> and that dragged it in and for some reason, I've missed it.

you will never track down what you think are dependancy issues if you
continue to yum -y and just let the system go ahead with the updates.
You need to take more responsibility to proactively  watch for oddness
before you let the updates proceed by reading over the summary
information before the let the updates proceed, stopping and thinking
about what you are reeding in the summary information and then
troubleshooting what you think is odd. All of this before the update
is allowed to complete.

As it stands now.. you have a snowball's chance in hell of figuring
this out. I suggest you go back do a fresh install of fc5t1 and try to
reconfirm how your system got mono-core installed.

I personally think you haven't been carefully enough about your
package hygiene and don't really have a good understanding of what is
going on with your packaging history. And I'm chalking this whole
incident up to you mis-remembering what you have actually done in
terms of packaging related installs.

-jef"end of transmission"spaleta