FC5 T2

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon Jan 16 05:20:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 15:01 +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 1/16/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Now you take this fact together with the fact that releases ALWAYS
> > slip... and you ALWAYS find your self in a situation right before the
> > official release where you have interested, but novice, users who is
> > using an old release schedule date as the basis for looking for a
> > release. They bump into the oh-so-clever iso spawn campers in #fedora
> > and they are handed a leaked iso address without being told that
> > updates aren't available yet. This is highly inappropriate and leaves
> > unsuspecting users in a situations where they will be required to live
> > with zero-day problems for several days until the update tree is
> > populated on the official release date.  The people who hand out the
> > leaked urls in public forums are not acting in the best interest of
> > the userbase at-large and are just clever little punks with way too
> > much time on their hands.
> >

> An easy solution to this whole problem would be to:
> As soon as the official ISOs are built, start releasing updates.
>
> I don't know how much more difficult it would be in practice, but I
> think it wouldn't be that much more work (maybe less); you're going to
> have to update it all eventually anyway.

This is in essence (or it would appear to be) what we already have.

You may have noticed that the kernel names changed a little and then
recently went back to the usual naming, along with a flood of updates
(which you can look forward to pulling once test2 is released if I'm
guessing right.)

Is this what you mean by 'as soon as the official ISO's are built, start
releasing updates'?

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"