FC5 T2

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:40:23 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> This is in essence (or it would appear to be) what we already have.

for test releases... yes, because the development tree already exists
and the Core buildsystem and the development tree itself is a rolling
release that momentarily freezes just long enough to roll the test
isos.

for final releases...typically no, because the update tree and
bugzilla component are created as part of the release process as new
branches. You simply cannot expect to see update content populate the
update tree before the official release date.  You are lucky if the
update trees even exist on the servers, by the time the first leaked
iso is installed on someone's system.

Users who knowingly pull leaked isos or knowingly search for leaked
isos for their own use before updates are available aren't the
problem. Its the subset of those users who communicate the location of
leaked isos to other unsuspecting users in a way that is misleading
and do not take the time to disclose that the iso is a leaked version
and what that means in terms of expecations with regard to official
update availability.  Misinformation leads directly to unnecessarily
frustration.

This sort of conversation is just as inappropriate  as meathead users
telling newbies who are asking about test releases that test releases
are "stable" and that they can be relied on for day-to-day usage,
which I think we can all agree on is acting in bad faith.  Withhold
information about the "leaked" status of isos when communicating to
other users who have not specifically asked for "leaked" isos is
similarly acting in bad faith.

-jef