FC5T2 Installation Notes

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 17:37:44 UTC 2006

Got the 5 CD set downloaded and installed on a test system.  Fresh
install with preconfigured LV over software raid5 PVs.

Installed fine with only a few really minor nits as enumerated below.
Very nice job Fedora Developers and Maintainers.

Notes:

1. Release notes reference FC4T1, but immediately (on another system)
went to web page listed at beginning and saw that was cleaned up.

2. Saw the missing udev /dev/.ydevdb/db error on first boot, but on
subsequent boots, no errors.

3. On firstboot the screen for Display had the following statement:

	P225f-w with ATI Technologies Inc RV280
	[Radeon 9200 SE] (secondary)

Not sure if this was telling that my primary graphics adapter is a
Radeon 9200 SE or that it saw it as a true second card, which it is on a
PCI slot.  The primary card is a Radeon 9200 on AGP.  In the xorg.conf
file, the adapter is referred to as the 9200 SE, but since the monitor
is attached to the AGP card and working, this identification is wrong.
But X worked pretty much ok (see 6 below).

4. On firstboot the screen for System User caused me to pause a bit.  To
me, a system user is one with privileges like root.  I think that
substituting 'computer' for 'system' would make more sense.  The screen
would be titled Computer User and the prompt would read:

	"It is recommended that you create a computer 'username' for 	regular
(non-administrative) use of your computer.  To create a computer
username, please provide the information requested below."

5. I installed both Gnome and KDE and noticed that the menu selections
from both were included in the Add to Panel gui.  Maybe that is default
behavior, but I hadn't noticed it before.  Nice.

6.  Anaconda (or X?) is still installing the vesa driver even tho it
appears that a radeon card was detected.  Had to change to radeon in
xorg.conf.

7. GDM problem (bug 177443) still present AFTER you change the default
greeter to gtk from themed.  Had to revert gdm to 2.8.0.4-13.1 to fix.
Will update bz.

I like the very nice bubbly fedora backgrounds and the ease of this
installation.  All of the LVs were seen and the software raid5s
identified during custom partitioning, yay!

Again, nice job Fedora dudes.

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)