FC5T2 and Development issues, observations, and questions

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 17:13:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:59:57AM -0800, Nathan Grennan wrote:
> came with the fact I hadn't rebooted. Overall I think the trend to
> moving everything to firstboot is a bad one, but I don't expect to be
> able to change the developers minds'.

The selinux + firstboot one seems to be a bug if selinux doesnt get disabled
at that point properly - file a bug

> 2. What is up with x86_64 kernels always being SMP enabled? I noticed a
> comment in the release notes, but no reason given as to why. I would

Saves a lot of build time, disk and testing effort. Doesn't really cost
anything measurable

> think this could be problematic for debugging unless there is some boot
> option that makes the kernel act 100% like it would with a UP kernel.

Makes it easier - we've only got *one* kernel to debug now 8)

> 3. Where are the x86_64 Xen 3.0 kernels? All I see are i686 in

NYA

> 6. I wanted to install galeon.i386 from extras, and it needed to install
> mozilla.i386. Being that I am running x86_64, mozilla.x86_64 was already
> installed. For some reason mozilla.i386 refused to install, because it
> said /usr/bin/mozilla and /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz conflicted
> with mozilla.x86_64. Both are mozilla-1.7.12-3. Is this a bug in the
> package? Is this a bug in rpm? I originally used yum and got the error,
> but then I tried rpm directly and received the same error message.

Correct behaviour. Its refusing to allow two clashing sets of files to overwrite
each other. You need to remove the x86_64 one first.

Alan