Pirut and Pup review - not working well enough yet

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 04:10:21 UTC 2006

G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> Per Rhaul's suggestion I went to use Pirut and Pup to apply rawhide
> updates to the FC5t2 installation.
>
> I discovered that Pup is ok as an updater, limited in functionality as
> it only updates things that are installed, not an integrated solution.
>
> The real problem was attempting to use Pirut to *remove* some of the
> things I didn't want on the system.  It doesn't yet implement removing
> anything!  Until it gets a little more functionality implemented, I'll
> prefer kyum as an integrated solution.
>
> --Wolfe

Deseecting items is the same as removing via pirut. I believe that I
removed an item or two with the program.

A package updater is a package updater. pirut is add/remove in design.

I'm still having SELinux related denials when selinux is active. Both
work great otherwise.

kyum is most likely a good front-end to yum also. I do not use it, but
have tried it in the past.

Jim

--
We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity -- so UP yours, Microsoft!