Not creating /dev entries at boot

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Thu Jan 19 12:25:29 UTC 2006

I'm having a weird problem with rawhide that started a couple of days
ago - none of the directories managed by udev are being created at boot.
No /dev/tty*, no /dev/pty*, no /dev/mem, no /dev/random, no
/dev/ttyUSB*. As you can imagine, the system is not very happy.

udev on start is saying "kernel too old for this version", which seems
strange as I am running 2.6.14.2 - if that is "too old" then something
is seriously wrong with the udev folks idea of "old".

Has anybody else seen this, and does anybody have any suggestions?