Kernels .1855+

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Thu Jan 19 13:47:12 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:50 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:34 -0700, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> > On 1/17/06, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.com> wrote:
> > > Any kernel above .1854 totally slows down my system where I can hardly
> > > move the mouse, and everything is reallllll slowwwww.
> > >
> > > And this is with rawhide updates as of this morning.
>
> > Machine
> >   Motherboard:
>
> MS 7060 MB, which is model 661FM2-LSR Micro Star, which uses the SiS
> 661FX Chipset
>
> >   CPU:
>
> PIV 2.8Ghz
>
> >   Memory:
>
> 512M Ram
>
> >   Hard Disk Controller:
>
> IDE
>
> >     Hard Disks:
>
> 2x Western Digital HDs
>
> >   Video Card:
>
> ATI 9000 Pro
>
> >   Peripheals:
>
> SB Live! Sound Card
>
> >   Modifications to Hardware (overclocking, etc).
>
> None
>

> > Boot Loader:
>
> Fedora defaults minus RHGB
>
> > Kernel:  Default/Rawhide/Other:
>
> Kernel-2.6.15-1.1854 works fine.
> Kernel-2.6.15-1.1859 (anything higher than 1854 so far) is what slows
> system down

Oh yea, today I booted up with the .1861 kernel (btw, these seem to be
the kernels from Dave J's people web site, not rawhide), and still same
problem.  Except, the problem is really jsut with the mouse I noticed,
not the system itself.  If I get a menu to come up, I can manuever the
keyboard arrows and get whatever I want and the menus seem to come up as
usual, not slow.

So maybe this is something to do with the mouse?

It's a MS Wireless Desktop, where keyboard and mouse are together and
both are wireless using same base component.  Whereas base component
plugs into keyboard/mouse plugins on the system.

And here is what comes up in xorg.conf, which of course is used by every
kernel...

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"