Creating Laptop Profiles

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:18:18 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> D Canfield (canfield at uindy.edu) said:
>
>> - require the tpb and other necessary packages for full hardware support
>> - include appropriate T43-specific config files for the tpb program
>>

> Why is tpb needed as opposed to /proc/acpi/ibm?
>
> Actually, why isn't tpb written as a interface neutral wrapper
> around HAL?

It may not be.  I've not yet learned enough about hal to have any clue
if that's something I have the skill to get involved in.  I've not yet
reconciled all the lists, but looking through thinkwiki.org, it looks
like some functions can be accessed via tpb, others via ibm_acpi, and
still others through yet another interface that just appeared recently.

If there's a clean way to handle this stuff in core, I'm happy to help.
But I just don't know where to find info on how to approach this.  All
the info I have on making buttons and special features work is via
thinkwiki.  If someone can tell me what info needs given to whom, I'll
do what I can.

The bit that took me the longest to figure out and that I'm not sure of
a general case solution to, is the docking station issue.  When I dock,
I have two monitors (or, I could just plug a second monitor into the
back).  What I'm doing now is using "MergedFB" and "MetaModes" to define
two modes: one has a 1400x1050 display on my laptop and a 1280x1024
display on my monitor, and the second is a virtual/panning
1400x1050+1280x1024 non-rectangular desktop for when my monitor isn't
connected.  I then define one of the extra keys to run "xvidtune -next".
This is the simplest method I could come up with to replicate the hotkey
resizing that most laptops support under windows.  If there any approach
we could take to make this easier for users, or is this too much of a
corner case?

Thanks
DC