Shy Applications

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:11:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 01:50:24 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

> Paul Dickson wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed that applications are now opening behind
> > everything else?
> >

> Yes, I have noticed it also...no clue as to why.

With the exception of gimp, it seems that if I start a program from a
Gnome menu it gets placed in front, but if I start the same program from
gnome-terminal (or any other program) it gets placed behind (gnomines,
gnome-sudoku, and gweled, abiword, kjumpingcube, and bittorrent).  I also
tried about a half-dozen of the system-config-* tools (some allow the
window manager to float the window to the side so it can be seen when
hidden like system-config-lvm) and they all do it.

Program's like sylpheed seem to carry this throughout.  Opening the config
or filter settings from the summary window and then closing it, the
summary window gets placed in back of the message view and folder view
windows.

Openmotif programs like xephem seem immune, but both kde and gnome
applications get hit by this.

	-Paul