intel-based macs

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jan 19 16:30:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-18-01 at 20:22 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 05:58:46PM -0700, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> > >From what I know of Ron Minnich, he is most likely correct that it is
> > possible. Now will anyone create a 16MB flash bios that doesnt cost as
> > much as 32 GB of ram?
>
> I'm sure their accountants love the idea of selling more flash forcibly
> that way

16MB flash sticks have been around for years. All most all of our
Cisco routers and switches have at least one 16 MB Flash SIMM.
The reason they are usually expensive is that they come with Cisco
Firmware. We just threw out 4 Cisco 5248's because we couldn't get
anyone to buy them on ebay. I yoinked the 8 16MB sticks of Flash and
all the RAM before tossing them in recycle bin.

The more the demand, and competition for flash the prices will come
down, then better, faster higher density products will come available.
With any luck the same SIMM standard used by Cisco and some other
router vendors will be adopted, since the products are readily
available and have solid records of reliability. Like many Cisco
products there are usually more than one SIMM slot for flash, but
one is for the "signed" BIOS and the others are for additional
storage. For instance you can't replace the "signed" BIOS stick
with anything other than one signed for that product, the
bootstrap loader will reject the code. There could be
significant advantages to increasing the amount of Flash, just
for a couple examples ; Non platform specific drivers could be stored
on the flash, or using encryption secure keys and settings could
be stored so for instance the biometric data of the users allowed
to access the machine could be stored to verify authorized users
by finger/thumb print or other means using a device attached to
that machine.

As for the cost for the actual BIOS code, I have no idea what it
costs. Boards that include the BIOS and free updates, cost
as little as $60 Canadian, so I can't see the actual BIOS code
costing a lot of money per item, at this time. If BIOS developers
start to make significantly more advanced BIOS products then BIOS
prices will likely rise somewhat.