FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 20 03:39:48 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Linux Counter (li.counter.org) #386711 wrote:
snip

>> Then, I got to the package selection
>> screen. I know that they're still working on it, but come on! With no
>> 'everything' option,I got very minimal packages.
>>
> Not this again. This is a feature not a bug :-)
Why do you think it keeps coming up?
It's a lack of a feature =;0
seriously, different people have different goals when they install and
run FC, who are you to say that there should not be at least a
*choice/option*.

> Everything installations are generally a bad idea.

Generally but not always!
In my case, one of the things I'm doing is looking for things that don't
  have SELinux policy that need it.

> * Dependency issues -
snip
  need to be found

> * Discoverability -
snip
Pirut needs an "everything" option as well. The list and search features
will be good when they work.

> * Redundancy - While Fedora Core itself is slowing moving towards
> providing more packages as part of the Fedora Extras and possibly doing
> several different targets the current selection uses multiple programs
> that provide the same functionality, browsers or desktop environments
> for example and its better for users to use a graphical tool like pirut
> and install packages as necessary.
For those of us that run 'rawhide' redundancy is good and it saves time
to have "more than one way to skin a cat" already installed.
Don't you want "everything" tested?

> * Security, manageability  and performance -  As more and more packages
> are installed on a system the amount of  updates and interactions
> between the packages that the user has to handle drastically increases.
> For users who are using Fedora as  a development system or using it just
> to learn Linux where the system serves no other purpose and a high
> amount of bandwidth is available this might make sense
You just gave another reason to have a 'everything' option. Plus don't
you want to make it easier for people to test everything? I'll bet there
are things in FC that no one uses and never gets tested.
BTW, what are you doing to get the number of CDs back down to 4?

but for others
> users who use it deploy it at various levels the amount of updates and
> potential security issues that they have to deal with packages that they
> might not even use is a additional burden. Moreover the additional
> packages installed might need listen to network connections by default
> making the systems potentially more vulnerable by increasing the attack
> vector. Additional services enabled by default also affect performance.
That has nothing to do with whether or not there is a 'everything' option.

snip

Richard