FC5T2 ready for even a test release?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 08:09:57 UTC 2006

> >There's nothing magic about 4 CDs - it's just a reality check that says
> >"hey, we are growing with no end in sight". It's not the size that's the
> >problem - it's the endless growth.
> >

> If we are fighting endless growth, we should be defining what core
> really means and then trim core to meet this goal which would result in
> a single CD

This is just picking a different arbitrary and extremely ephemeral size
limitation.  So now I'll have a go at it, just to demonstrate how banal
this whole line of reasoning is:

To use our desktop without much pain, you realistically need a lot of
ram, a pretty good video card, and a relatively fast CPU.  Any computer
with all of these can surely include a DVD drive.

Or, we could use the same logic, phrased in a more familiar historical
way: 640
Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody.

In case my point isn't painfully clear yet, arbitrarily picking the
number 1 doesn't address the growth problem any more than arbitrarily
picking the number 4 does.  Any hope of addressing this issue is not
going to involve picking a size of some unit of storage that happens to
be temporally convenient this week.

By picking silly numbers, we're focusing on how we'll know if we've done
the right thing.  We don't need to focus on that.  If we get it right,
there won't be a problem any more.

--
  Peter