Gnome panel clock

David Boles dgboles at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 13:35:47 UTC 2006

David Nielsen wrote:
> fre, 20 01 2006 kl. 18:13 +1030, skrev n0dalus:
>> On 1/20/06, David Boles <dgboles at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I was asked why the GNOME panel clock calendar displays weeks that begin with
>>> Monday.
>>>
>>> The other questions are. Can it be changed to begin with Sunday? And, of
>>> course if possible, how to change it? If not, why not?
>> I could be wrong, but I think it uses the system locale to determine
>> what day the week starts on.
>
> You'd be right, provided the application actually reads that bit of
> information. Which leaves me in the situation where the clock applet
> says the first day of the week is Sunday and Evolution Calendar says in
> Monday - in the same session mind you. The worst bit is that for once
> Evolution is right, in Denmark Monday is the first day of the week.
>
> I think this insanity warrents a bugreport.
>
> David *I hate mondays* Nielsen

That 'other desktop', the one that starts with a 'K', starts the week with a
Monday for me also. But it can be changed. I wonder why, or how, it can be
changed in GNOME?

I was told this on another list.

<quote>

in time.h
  int tm_wday;			/* Day of week.	[0-6] */
Sunday is the first day of the week, outside computer science too

<unquote>

and this:

<quote>

It is a locale stuff :
check langinfo.h

code used in gtkcalendar.c :
  langinfo = nl_langinfo (_NL_TIME_FIRST_WEEKDAY);
  first_weekday = langinfo[0];
  langinfo = nl_langinfo (_NL_TIME_WEEK_1STDAY);
  week_origin = GPOINTER_TO_INT (langinfo);
  if (week_origin == 19971130) /* Sunday */
    week_1stday = 0;
  else if (week_origin == 19971201) /* Monday */
    week_1stday = 1;
  else
    g_warning ("Unknown value of _NL_TIME_WEEK_1STDAY.\n");

  priv->week_start = (week_1stday + first_weekday - 1) % 7;

<unquote>

So does this qualify as a bug or a 'this is the way we do that'?
--

  David